Sunday, March 23, 2008

Nala


Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate, Happy Sunday to the rest,
This is Nala. She is just over two years old. I rescued her from the SPCA. She had been adopted for 3 or 4 days and all she did was meow and the people brought her back. When she caught my attention I was pulled to her like a magnet. I did not "need" another pet nor was I in the market for one. I wasn't even visiting the SPCA. I was at the mall Christmas shopping and the shelter had many cats there available for adoption. I was an innocent shopper. Really. She sucked me in with her catly powers. I agreed to hold her. Then another couple came by and said they were interested in her. I handed her right over thinking I would find peace in knowing that she had a good home as you could tell they were animal lovers. This cross eyed, part siamese crazy cat would not have it. She meowed and wiggled and tried to jump out of their arms directly back into mine. Sharlyn was with me so I said "you adopt her" she said "no way, you adopt her" I said "no, you", she said "no, you". We went on like this until she finally said " you know I can' t get another cat right now, and you know we can't put her back in the cage so just fill out the paperwork already". So I did. I brought her home and she has cracked me up ever since. She doesn not meow at all and that makes me think she knew her rightly home and had to do something to get the hell out of that last house. She is like no cat I have ever known and I have been a cat owner and lover since the word go. In fact Nala is the 25th cat I have owned in my life. So I can speak with some authority about what makes a unique cat. The first interesting thing I discovered is that Nala plays fetch. Fetch - like a dog. This is soooo funny. One day I was reading and she jumped up on the bed and dropped a small piece of paper next to me. I ignored her but she kept nudging the paper towards me with her nose. I tossed it trying to make her go away but instead she ran after the paper and brought it back to me. This went on for at least ten minutes and I still laugh everytime she does it. A cat playing fetch is just not something you see every day. She is part siamese so her eyes sometimes cross which is incredibly charming and a adds to her mystique. She is quite seductive and I have come to believe that Nala also has a portal. She is so elegant and dramatic (a bit of a queen actually) that one day I started to picture her slipping into a hidden portal in the wall from time to time. I envisioned her wearing long gloves and always walking on her hind feet while in the portal. She wears a velvet shawl, rhinestone necklace and smokes a long ladie's cigarette. In this portal she has all of our missing items. The mate to my favorite sock, Greg's special legos, Heidi's earrings, fishing lures. You name it she has it. On a regular basis she goes into the portal to count her items. She does this in a manner which is very similar to the Count on Sesame Street. One lego....ah..ah.ahh...two legos...ah...ah...ahh...three legos. She is quite amused with herself in here and she even has a fainting couch. Can you see it?? She plays music from the roaring twenties and when she is sick of that she plays Lucinda Williams. She has a grand piano that she pretends to play and fancies herself a nightclub singer. So when I saw her sitting on my dresser this morning I just knew she had to be what I wrote about today. She was looking quite stately after a long nap on my down comforter soaking up the afternoon sun. She was considering a trip to the portal after her daily chat and meditation with the Buddha. I could just tell. Nala is one of those animals that seems to posess more knowledge than most. She is unique to say the least. When I think back to how she came into my life it reminds me of a very important lesson. When you follow that deep inner knowing it often makes no logical sense. You will probably try to resist it. You will get signs that will make you question what you are doing. It might look crazy at best. This is all usually a sign that we are being led in the RIGHT direction. Strange isn't it? I have found my logic to be of almost no use to me anymore. I miss it sometimes. Nala is a great reminder every single day that doing the craziest thing is very often the exact thing that God wants us to do. How in the world can I imagine life with out the cross eyed, part siamese - part lounge singer who plays fetch?
Trust your crazy ideas,
Kimberly

No comments: